IFMP Question of the day | 1/23/18 Answer posted

Something in mind that as you add power with full flaps, you will start to gain lift (pitch up). Also, since you have a small tailwind and you’re already near stall, you don’t want to immediately pitch up and start climbing after adding throttle. That’s why I chose C instead of B but I’m interested to know the correct answer for this scenario.

I’m really stuck on this one. I chose B because according to the picture, you are below the altitude for the ILS approach, which means you would need to pull up. BUT, the speed is low, which would imply you’d need to pitch down to gain speed. BUT, there isn’t no stall warning, so you wouldn’t explicity have to follow stall rules.

Very interesting question!

Notice how the flaps are at FULL.

Notice his FPM and his pitch. He is in a stall. You can disable the stall messages in the options. Yes he has low load factor but at that angle he shouldnt be losing altitude at that pitch unless he is stalling. This question is a clear stall recovery question

ILS heading is wrong first of all…

A and D is wrong coz LOC is on to the left of neutral

He is losing a lot of speed. Pitching up makes a stall worse so it probably going to pitch down to help.

C is it for me

Isn’t visibility reported in feet in the US?

Look it came up as meters in app so I went with it 😂

I hate when the community answer heavily outweighs mine, but I am confident…

Edit: never mind, the poll answers moved around me lol

Interesting results B gained a lot of traction overnight.

1 hour til the poll closes

I’ve got to go with B, because wouldn’t you have to climb back to pattern altitude until established on the localizer? Descending doesn’t make sense to me, as you would be below the glide slope by the time you intercept the localizer (most likely).

Edit: Just realized, if you pitch up more, before you gain speed your going to be in a stall. This one is a little trickier!

Today’s answer great job to those who got it right. It wasn’t the easiest question to decifer.

Tomorrow’s question will post at 0000Z

These trick questions don’t help anyone learn!

It was obvious that pitching up would make it worse. I saw it right from there. Any further pulling would make more drag and throw you into a stall.

It’s not a trick if you know what you’re doing. 😏

Actually, that wasn’t a trick question at all. B had to be incorrect, we don’t want to stall now, do we?

Ha I just guess them. I think either way would get me on the ground, just with a technique not as good.

Yea one in many pieces the others at another airport 😂 that’s the point is to teach the best way to react to the situation.

Proper maneuver here would be the missed approach to be honest. Your approach doesn’t meet the stable approach requirements (unproper flight path, landing flaps not selected, and landing speed not maintained).

However, you are relatively near to a stall. So, you should first gain some speed (« pitch, power, pray » sequence), climb away and reconfigure your aircraft for another try.

Yes you would go missed had this happened. This was soley how to recover from the stall, and that includes getting back on the localizer.