Extra confirmation screen when entering the Expert Server.

We probably all know that the Expert Server is not perfect. Lot’s of mistakes happen (which is to be expected).

But we have to try to limit the amount of mistakes that happen. Trying to gain more expertise in the ‘Expert’ Server.

That is why I am proposing this idea: an extra screen before you start your flight. To make pilots be aware there are certain rules which are enforced, but also to make the tutorial content more accessible. People are lazy and want easy access to stuff. That’s why this probably would help in my opinion.

The extra screen explains that you are entering the Expert Server, that there are certain rules and that you need to stay up-to-date with these rules. Since the tutorials are also listed at the center of the screen, users can easily read the titles and users will maybe think:

“hey, ATC send me Check help pages when I tried to land with ILS last time, will this ILS tutorial explain it to me?”

So each time a users tries to access the Expert Server, they have to confirm they are up-to-date with the enforced rules. The confirmation itself is nothing special (just pressing the continue button), but the user is actively confronted that certain rules are enforced on this specific server.

Additional suggestions posted in the comments below:

By @Chris_S:
Changing the text in the extra screen to:

You are about to enter the Expert Server, do you know all the enforced rules?**

• Follow all ATC commands
  • Observe speed limits on the ground and in the air
  • Do not taxi through others
  • Do not spam the frequency
  • Do not interfere with others
  • Maintain safe separation with other aircraft
  • Follow the existing traffic flow

For more information please check the community tutorials (link to community tutorial category)

By @Ignas04:

Best would be first time joining and after a ghost.

By @Matt_McDonald :

The top two things that need to be listed though are “How to change frequency” and “What selecting pattern work actually means.” 🤬

By @mgjr83:

translated to different languages and displayed based on OS language settings.

I think it’s a good idea, but do you get a test after this? And do I have to check the boxes when I know everything?

No tests, no checking of boxes. All this screen tries to do is let the users be aware that rules are enforced (and listing the tutorials).

YES, PLEASE. As an IFATC controller, I’m beginning to see an influx of more Grade 3 people who don’t quite get Expert server yet, so this would be a nice effort to try and reduce the amount of TS1 habits moving over to Expert.

Dropped a vote on this. Looks well thought out, but still simple, and I think it could reduce a lot of the ‘I didn’t know’ or ‘I didn’t do anything wrong’ issues we see. The easy tutorial redirection seems smart as well; if the warning makes someone uneasy they can just look at some or all of the tutorials.

I would change what is said. The server description already says to follow the rules so its really nothing new. We could get three pages of tutorials if we wanted to.

I would change it to

**You are about to enter the Expert Server, do you know all the enforced rules?** 

- Follow all ATC commands
- Observe speed limits on the ground and in the air 
- Do not taxi through others
- Do not spam the frequency
- Do not interfere with others
- Maintain safe separation with other aircraft
- Follow the existing traffic flow

For more information please check the community tutorials (link to community tutorial category)

I love the idea of an additional reminder prior to entering. Its not going to stop people but it is just something to prevent the “I didnt know I couldnt take off the wrong way” sort of thing.

I think its a really good idea and should be added on the expert server page, because not only will help the TS pilots to understand how to communicate correctly with atc,but it wouls also decrease the ghostings. You got my vote!!!

Definitely gets my vote! I love this idea. This would be a very good way to remind people. Thank you for sharing this! It really gets people to be aware that they will be on „expert“ and they have to confirm it.

I don’t think it should be each time someone accesses the expert server.

Best would be first time joining and after a ghost.

Other than that, I like it!

I really really support this idea. I think it will prevent some topics I’ve seen saying how unsure new grade 3’s are when entering the server. I think it’s that extra reminder and will make people think a bit more when flying and hopefully remind people of the etiquette on the expert server.

I 100% support this idea. The top two things that need to be listed though are “How to change frequency” and “What selecting pattern work actually means.” 🤬

We alrady have a tutorials link on the main page. I don’t see why we need to have one on a reminder page. The whole point is to warn them that this server has rules. Rules and Tutorials are totally different elements.

If we added every tutorial that we wanted they would scroll for two days before accessing the server.

Bottom line is we need something that says “Hey this is expert, act like it” sort of thing.

All suggestions are welcome Chris. Nothing is set in stone. I’m trying to push into a direction that we try to optimise the expert server experience. Currently at least 50% of the pilots uses a command wrong. There needs to be improvements. Which ones, that’s up to the devs. As of now, it’s just not perfect, so I’m trying to improve that.

Agree. By doing a screen like this could tell them one more time what to expect. And to have a links to different tutorials is awesome. That way a guy could get ready to spawn in, see the screen, read the warning and the right there in front of him see a link to something he knows he needs to learn. Love this idea.

I read this right after leaving KJFK on Expert where I saw a Cargolux 747-8i taxiing through the gates and terminal. This is essential.

I like your idea - I’m not really sure this will move the needle in the right direction but you get my vote anyway - better to try something than nothing, right?. It would be even better if this disclaimer could be translated to different languages and displayed based on OS language settings.

Best thing is if we can make tutorials as prerequisite to joining the expert server only for the first time
This way all are obliged to see them because i bet few checked them

Even on uncontrolled airports you still see people on final following another plane like a race with 1nm space and at a higher speed. And no one can do anything about it

It’s I think kinda like the warnings on sunscreen that say not to eat it, but the idiots that eat it wolnt read that…

but… they can’t say they did not know since it is printed on the bottle…

So it may not prevent all incidents but I have much less problem being like” well he’s a nincompoop…” when they mess up since they knew… (or should have known) especially for those who aren’t on the community and may not be aware of the tutorials…

I don’t believe that it’ll prevent all misconduct on the Expert Server, but I think it will reduce the amount of people who ask ‘Why was I ghosted?’. That way, there isn’t (virtually) any excuse. The user said they were aware of the rules, then it’s on them.

I reiterate my belief that this is essential. I’m growing tired of encountering TS1 behavior on Expert.

What would 100% guarantee move the needle is letting us ghost people for everything without warning. Even little things like not changing frequency or asking for patterns and then flying away. Easily the two biggest things ATC gets frustrated with.

BUT, BUT, BUT, WIAT…

After we ghost them, if we have a way for them to get ahold of us so we can explain what it is they did wrong and then reverse the ghost with zero penalty. This way we can teach them by having a one on one conversation with them. The ghost message would say something like “Please contact ATC Specialst “LikeToTurnLeft” on the community forum for the correct procedure in this situation. (Obviously insert the controllers name)

Guy contacts me…
Him: “Dude you just ghosted me at JFK. WTH!!! I’m kisses! I didn’t do anything wrong!
Me: “The reason I ghosted you is because you told me you were remaining in the pattern and then you didn’t stay in the pattern, you took and changed frequency without me giving you the instruction to do so. When asking for patterns, what your asking is you’d like to stay at the airport and do touch and goes. Maybe you need the practice landing or your just trying to increase your XP. The correct thing to do, based on your FP that I saw, was to let Tower know you want to take off and depart to the East. By letting us know exactly what you’d like to do, it gives us some heads up with sequencing. Because you asked for patterns, I was already planning on how to squeeze you in with others that we’re doing pattern work. Plus I was going to love you to another runway. I ghosted you so I could explain to you exactly what “patterns” are and what it means when you ask for them. Now that you know, in the future you can ask the tower for the correct item. Here’s a link to the correct tutorial on the subject. Check it out : xxxxxxx Do you have any questions?
Him: No. I’m sorry. I never knew what pattern work was. But now I’m grade 2 and can’t fly on he Expert Server for 6 more years.”
Me: LOL. 6 years. That’s funny. You’re not grade 2 and you can go back to Expert Server right now. I’ll reverse the ghost. I just wanted to teach you the correct procedure for taking off. If you see others doing it wrong, and you know how to contact to them, please let them know the correct way to do things. We’re trying to get the Expert Sever cleaned up with all the pilots (and ATC) on the same page and EVERYTHING correctly. Do you any questions about how to use the pattern command? BTW. If you have ANY questions, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, reach out to me anytime. I’ll always be here to answer them for you.
Him: No I’m good. Thanks. And again, I’m sorry for being dumb.

👆 Something like that will move the needle. I’m using the “Remainifn in the pattern” command as an example. But there’s a ton of things we could use this procedure on. Yes, there are plenty of people that are just morons and deserve to be ghosted and deserve the penelty for being ghosted. But I’d be willing to say the vast majority of people that frustrate the heck out of us ATC, just don’t know the correct way to do things. And the e never been taught.and yes, there are tutorials for most things. And yes, ATC has a command that says “Check help pages for tutorials.” But let’s be honest. How many people go and check? They don’t even know what they did wrong so they don’t know what to go check. That’s where my idea of being able to ghost them, and immediately get their attention, allows us to communicate with them and teach the correct way to do things, by being to immediately reversing their ghost, it allows them to get back to flying a little wiser.