Boeing 737-800/900 Landing Tutorial

Hey y’all! I’ve got a tutorial for y’all today, on how to land the 737-800/900 properly.

Bolded words will be defined at the bottom of this tutorial.

Approach
To keep from stalling when on approach in the B738/9, you’ll want to have a relatively high N1 compared to other aircraft. Your N1 should be in the range of 50-70%. When approaching an airport, keep a low approach, so stay a bit below the glide slope. This helps with flaring the aircraft right before landing. Your approach speed should be 140-150kts, which will be reduced later. Around 5 miles out from the runway, lower the landing gear, while adding flaps 30. This will create extra drag which in turn means we need more thrust to balance it out.

Screenshots

Short Final
Flying the short final to a runway with the B738/9 can be a bit tricky right off the bat. When you reach 500 feet, disengage the SPD A/P, either add Flaps 40, or keep 30, and maintain a 50-70% N1 level. Keep this N1 all the way down to 100 feet. At or below 100 feet, all autopilot should be disengaged. Your speed should now be in the range of 120kts to 130kts. Like stated before, it can be tricky, but with practice, you’ll get better.

Screenshots

Flare
The flare is debatably the hardest part of landing this beautiful craft. A perfect, textbook approach and landing puts the aircraft at 50 feet when crossing the runway threshold. So, that’s what you should aim for. The flare should start at 10 feet, and you should slowly “roll” the plane by pulling the throttle and the yoke. This will slow your aircraft down, while bringing you closer to touchdown.

Screenshots

Roll-out
The 4 stages of landing are as follows. Flare, touchdown, control, rollout. First you flare, then touchdown, control the aircraft once it touches down, then rollout. After controlling the 737-800/900, you’ll engage reverse thrust, until 60kts. After 60kts, you’ll engage the breaks, and find a good runway turn off.

Definitions

• N1 - N1 is the rotational speeds of the first engine section expressed as a percentage of a nominal value.
  • Flaring - In the flare, the nose of the plane is raised, slowing the descent rate, and the proper attitude is set for touchdown.
  • Drag - Drag is the force that acts on every part of the airplane, slowing it down, and opposing its forward motion.
  • Perfect, textbook landing - A textbook landing is where the aircraft passes over the runway threshold at 50 feet, and the gear touches down on the double piano keys.

Thanks for reading and good luck!

I am not responsible for any mishaps caused when using this tutorial. This tutorial will not guarantee success, it will only bring you closer to it.

Pretty Hot Regards,
Matt

Using the 737-800/900 Flaps
Landings
How do you land a 737?
Need help with flying the 737-900

Really helpful and informative post. Thanks for sharing! I’m currently flying the 738 so this tutorial’s timing was perfect ;)

Interesting post. Did you compile all the information such as approach speeds just from flying it on IF or didn’t you research from other sources?

Thanks Matt, a topic like this is always beneficial to the community. I can confidently say that some of my B737 landings will be much smoother.

A combination of both. I’ll think about what I usually do in Infinite Flight, then I’ll look up what the actual speed should be, and that’s where I got the ranges from. Thank you!

I’ll bookmark this thread for future references. Thanks for the tutorials, Matt. Well-structured and easy to read ;)

Hey Matt thanks for this great tutorial! Coincidentally, yesterday I was headed to PDK for the day and our pilot who usually flies us was there and an old pilot who flew in vietnam and use to be was a medavac heli pilot and then flew 737’s for SW for 26 years and now flies GA planes and was our copilot. I actually asked him how he landed a 737 and this is what he said:

Since the “middle pivot” or the place I circled in this picture Pivot point
He said as soon as you are 10 ft off the ground you want to push the yoke and pull the throttle. He also said you should just be basically “rolling” the plane over. He said he usually would land with a 5kt leeway in any direction from 130 kts so from 125 to 135kts depending on weight. He recomend that Most pilots landed with flaps 30 because they didnt like all the drag with 40 but on the rare occasion he would.

hope this helps,
Bo

Note: He said you should already be pitched up around 3 degrees when you are around 1nm away and just keep that.

Sorry for the hand writing lol

Watch out for that tailstrike lol!

yeah but as you are 10 ft you pull the throttle back and push the yoke forward.

Thanks for that! I just edited the post to reflect what you said. Good info!

Wait, I’m confused… I’m supposed to push the nose into the ground in the flare? This is what your quote says. Please enlighten me because whenever I land, I land on my main gear before gently lowering the nose gear onto the runway.

Or somebody else can answer why we push the nose down in the flare… false info here folks 🤦🏼‍♂️

What would be the difference between the Cessna and the B737 because I know the Cessna flares 10ft above the runway

No what he said note he has flown for SW for 26 and a half years eh said you should be around 3 degrees then around 10 ft you push the yoke and pull the throttle to idle and when pushing the yokeforward slowly and let it float to the ground while slowly pushing the nose down.

Also I’m flying to my ranch right now and my pilot said what the other pilot told me was a “roll on landing” which is hard to do unless you are very experienced but he said as you pull back on the throttle you slowly at around 10 ft push forward slowly on the yoke he said it’s hard to do but if you nail it, it looks perfect. He said for a regular landing he said you want to touch down right at 130 with a 4kts on either side so 126-134kts. He also said he judged it diffrent every time but you would start slowing the rate of descent at or around 40 then you want to really start flaring at or around 20-25 ft he just judged on each landing.

Thanks
Bo

PS: This pilot was with southwest for 23 years

Edit: He also said your final/APPR speed should be your VREF speed plus winds so around 140-145

Nice tutorial! Make these for other aircrafts as well! They’re helpful when you wanna land like a pro!

What’s a landing on the piano keys?

I think I will! Which one would you like next? Shall I make a poll?

@xxFuryxx By piano keys I am referring to the 2 big white rectangles on the runway. Here is a diagram, check it out…

Hope that helped!

Can you make a tutorial for heavies/supers like the A380 since I’m not very good at managing the landing speeds for those planes!

I’ll work on it later tonight!

Thank you sir! I appreciate it!